International Essay Competition
What do I know about Azerbaijan?
The Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan in Romania has the honor to announce the international essay competition under the theme of “What Do I know about Azerbaijan?” jointly organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Youth and Sports of the Republic of Azerbaijan. The main aim of the competition is to raise the level of awareness among Romanian youth about Azerbaijan and provide an opportunity for travelling to Azerbaijan during the summer of 2015 in order to get more in-depth information about the country, its culture, history, ethnography, foreign policy and people.
Guidelines of competition
Romanian youth (pupil, students, young researchers) between 14-29 ages could participate at the competition;
· Essays should be written in English language;
· Essays should not exceed the 2500 words limit;
· 10 essays would be selected as winner and authors of the winning essays will have an opportunity to travel to Azerbaijan for 7 days during August month of 2015;
· All expenses related to travel to Azerbaijan (international round-trip flight, food, accommodation, internal transportation, access to cultural places, trips to the regions of Azerbaijan) will be covered by the Azerbaijani side;
· To the authors of the winning essays will be presented special gifts by the Azerbaijani authorities and the essays will be published in a special booklet.
Competition procedures and selection criteria
Required documents for submission of application are as following:
1. Essay on the topic “What do I know about Azerbaijan?” not exceeding 2500 words;
2. Application form - could be accessed from the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpa7hv1s670argu/Application%20form.docx?dl=0 ;
3. Curriculum Vitae (CV) of the applicant;
4. Passport and national identity card of the applicant.
Essays should be written in “times new roman” font, size 12 and include the title, author’s name, author’s mailing address, email address, and phone number on the first page of the essay.
Essays should have a reference to the literature used. All applications will be checked for plagiarism. Plagiarized essays will be disqualified from the competition.
All submissions will go through an initial screening process by several readers. Each reader will assign a rating on a scale of 1-10 (10 best, 1 worst), taking into account the following criteria: relevance to the topic; originality, depth and persuasiveness of analysis; quality of writing; thoroughness of research and style, and proper citation of sources. Bearing in mind that most of the contestants will not be native English speakers, grammar issues of the Essays written in English language will be accorded less weight. The papers with the highest average scores will be reviewed by a final panel of judges, who will agree on the winners.
Documents should be submitted to the email@example.com email with the topic of “What do I know about Azerbaijan?”. Incomplete applications won’t be accepted. The essays should be sent as a MS Word file document.
Deadline for submission of applications is 30 April 2015 date.
The winners of the competition will be announced at the end of the June month of 2015.
The trip to Azerbaijan and rewarding ceremony of the winners will be organized in August month of 2015.
The essays could be written at any topic concerning Azerbaijan. However, the following topics could be suggested:
- Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: myths and realities;
- Haydar Aliyev: national leader of Azerbaijan;
- History, art and culture of Azerbaijan;
- Population, language, customs and religion of Azerbaijan;
- Role of Azerbaijan at system of international relations;
- Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Romania: history and perspectives;
- Oil and gas strategy of Azerbaijan;
- Economic development model of Azerbaijan – comparison with global economies;
- Khojaly massacre.
For further information and questions please contact the Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan in Romania.
Contact details of the Embassy:
Address: Grigore Gafencu 10, Sector 1, 014132, Bucharest, Romania
Tel: +40 21-233.24.66
Fax: +40 21-233.24.65